Tuesday, July 16, 2013

MOONG DAL SALAD (HEALTHY MEAL)

I was alone at home and was thinking of making lunch for myself.  Usually when I find nothing in the refrigerator, I want something which is quick and easy to cook.  Suddenly moong dal salad came to my mind.  Before I got married my mother used to make different salads for dinner with soup. So I thought I will make that.

I had tried making moong dal salad a few times earlier too, but nobody at home liked eating boiled dal without the usual oil and spices. This time, I made it for lunch for myself and served it to my husband for dinner. My husband really liked it too.

It was so yummy want to make it again.

Things to collect:

  1. 1 cup moong dal (yellow half)
  2. 1 onion chopped finely
  3. 2 small tomatoes chopped finely
  4. 2 cucumbers chopped finely
  5. juice of 1 lemon
  6. salt according to taste
  7. chat masala according to taste
  8. roasted jeera powder according to taste


Lets start making:

  1. Clean and wash moong dal, add just enough water to cover the dal, put it in the pressure cooker.
  2. Add salt (according to taste)
  3. Put the cooker on the cooking range. 
  4. After first whistle,  simmer for 3 mins and then switch off the cooking range.
  5. In a bowl add the chopped onions, tomatoes, cucumber .
  6. Cooled down the dal to room temperature.
  7. Make sure there is no water remaining in the dal. Strain away any excess water.
  8. Add all the chopped ingredients.  Then add salt. 
  9. Now add chat masala and roasted jeera according to your taste. 
  10. Now add lemon juice. 
  11. Mix everything well, serve it.  

Notes:

  1. You can add other types of salads or fruits too (e.g., corn, pomegranate, apple, paneer etc.)
  2. In stead of a main meal, you can have it as a light meal too. This will go very well with soup too.






No comments:

Post a Comment